Gelsemium sempervirens (3.5-inch pot)
Common Name: Carolina Jessamine
- Height: 36 Inches, climbing height 20'
- Hardiness Zone: 7-9
- Sun to Part Shade
- Evergreen - Native in the Southeast
- Fragrant, Yellow Flowers in Spring
- Good choice for covering trellises, arbors and fences
- Drought Tolerant once established
- Adapts to most soil conditions
- Erosion control
- State flower of South Carolina
Gelsemium sempervirens, also known as Carolina jessamine or yellow jasmine, is a climbing vine native to the southeastern United States. It is a popular ornamental plant for its fragrant flowers, which bloom in the spring.
Gelsemium sempervirens is a perennial plant that can grow to a height of 10-20 feet. The stems are slender and twining, and the leaves are lanceolate and dark green. The flowers are yellow and trumpet-shaped, and they are borne in clusters of 2-5 flowers. Carolina jessamine has yellow, fragrant, tubular blooms, 1.5" long. Blooms late Winter/early Spring. Blooms best in Full Sun. May bloom again in the Fall but less profusely. Green leaves are elongated, 1" to 4".
Gelsemium sempervirens is a relatively easy plant to care for. It prefers full sun to partial shade and well-drained soil. It is drought-tolerant once established, but it should be watered regularly during the first year after planting. Gelsemium sempervirens is not particularly susceptible to pests or diseases.
Gelsemium sempervirens is a beautiful and fragrant plant that is a great addition to any garden. It can be grown as a climber on a trellis or fence, or it can be allowed to trail over a wall or rock. Gelsemium sempervirens is also a popular choice for bonsai.
- Water regularly, especially during the first year after planting.
- Fertilize lightly in spring or fall.
- Prune in late winter or early spring to shape the plant and encourage new growth.
- Prefers moderately moist, well-drained soil.
- Tolerates most soil conditions and is drought tolerant once established.
- It is a twining vine climbing up to 20'.
- Sprawling unsupported it can be used as a bushy ground cover for slopes or banks for erosion control.
- Cut back after blooming to maintain a neat coverage.
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Received order within a few days of order. I was very leery when ordering as I had never ordered plants online. Upon arrival the plants, Carolina Jasmine, appeared healthy and in good condition. I immediately watered and waited a few days before planting. From the nursery side all was excellent, hopefully the plants will take in the TX heat...